Thursday, January 15, 2009

New Week, New Problems

This was not a good week for my students.

Besides having the last test of the semester for my course and most of their other courses, they are preparing for finals next week. On top of that, there was a student death in the other large high school (during school) and a violent attack of a student who goes to my own school. The kids are stressed out and frustrated and tired.

I had three students who didn't sleep at all last night since they were up studying. I mentioned to them that sleep helps on a test as much as studying does. Of course, I didn't mention that I did the very same thing myself through high school and college. Some of us are slow learners (and I'm not talking about my students).

It was interesting if depressing to see the responses to the two difficult situations. The death in the other large high school here was responded to with flyers and information for the teachers to read in class, counselors and professional support staff as well as substitutes who were in the building just in case a teacher was having a tough time. The situation here was different and was responded to differently. There was a message from the principle and it mentioned that a student could approach a counselor if need be. My own mentor asked how many kids knew the student attacked, and about a third raised their hands.

The students seem unsettled by everything rather than depressed, though that could just be me reading into the situation. Anyhow, a few were discussing it rather than working and I just let them. Not sure if I was helping them deal with it or making things worse by not distracting them with physics. Ah well.

Hopefully next week will start looking up as finals begin and I have more time to get organized for next semester where I will actually start teaching.

Woo!

6 comments:

CTHS Mexico Mayan Heritage Educational Tour said...

Every week there's a new situation to deal with in the world of being an educator. I know that you have wonderful instincts and the students were probably relieved to have some time to just "be" for a class period. Let's talk soon!

Alli said...

Hi Rebekah,
I was so upset to hear about the girl at Huron who was attacked. I've been following the situation in the news, but I can't imagine being at the school. It sounds like she was an incredible individual, and I would imagine students are having a really difficult time dealing with the situation. I think it's OK that you let the students discuss it- I know here we were alright with students discussing the situation of the boy who passed away as long as we didn't overhear "hear-say" or speculations that weren't mentioned in the handout. Students need friends and supportive teachers and administrative staff in order to grieve, and I'm sure you're doing a great job!

Maria said...

Hey Rebekah,

I think that over time things will definitely start looking up. My students had their first final today and they seemed to take a sigh of relief after it was finished! I think the weather and the cold tends to stress people out a little too... so just think, by the time we really get into teaching the sun will be coming out and the students will become overly excited about our subjects! (haha maybe.....) Good luck this week, and I am going to take your advice about the sleep :)

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

Hi Rebekah
Great post! Lots of good discussion pieces here. I just wanted to share that I was during during 9/11 when a student came in and said, "a plane flew into the WTC in New York!" I thought he was joking so I put him back to work. When I realized that he was not (about 10 minutes later), I had to decide if I should turn on the TV or keep them focused on work. I decided that we should turn on the TV and talk. Not sure if this was the right decision but my students were so unsettled that I thought it would be ridiculous to ignore what was happening in the world around them so they could work on a project for class.

I believe there is no right answer in these situations, you do the best you can. And it sounds like you did.

KOZMONAUT said...

I think that your compassion and concern for the students will undoubtedly help them through this difficult time. I've also been following the attacks and was distraught! How could people so young do these things to one another? It sounds like the school community is working together, though, so hopefully that will help the students through this.

Sarah SSM said...

I think talking about it is important. I still remember a government class where we talked about suicide when I was a high school student. It got very personal, and no one moved when the bell rang. It was the right thing for him to let us go on talking that day.

And I remember when the Challenger blew up just before a big exam in college. We took time to talk first. Who could have concentrated otherwise?

Sounds like you handled it well. I'm sorry your school wasn't more proactive - maybe they don't understand how many kids knew the girl who was attacked.